About Katherine Watkins
Katherine Watkins BSc(Hons), MCSP, Registered Member of the Health Professional Council, Chartered Physiotherapist, is a skilled manual therapist specialising in dance and sports injuries.
Tennis: Katherine works at the All England Lawn Tennis club treating Members and their guests. She has been one of the team of physiotherapists for the AELTC at the Wimbledon Tennis Championships since 2002. She is the physiotherapist for the Junior Girls at Wimbledon and now also works with the LTA and the ITF as a tournament physiotherapist.
Dance: Katherine was a Physiotherapist at the Royal Ballet School based in White Lodge in Richmond Park. This follows her recent work as the Lead Physiotherapist and Health Services Co-ordinator for Trintiy Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance. She has worked as the Physiotherapist for the Royal Academy of Dance where she was also a Distance Learning Tutor and Module Co-ordinator for the Certificate of Ballet Teaching Studies (CBTS).
She is the Dance Physiotherapy representative for the ACPSEM (Association of Chartered Physiotherapists in Sports and Exercise Medicine), is an active member of the Physiotherapy Advisory Group for Dance UK, and is listed on their physiotherapy practitioners' register.
Business: Katherine proposed, developed and set-up Trinity Laban Health for Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music & Dance in 2009. It has gone from strength to strength under her leadership. She is currently working with the Director of Dance and the Head of Research on another exciting project.
Research: Katherine is currently is the clinical assessor working with Roehampton University and the English National Ballet on a PhD thesis exploring the benefits of Ballet in a group of Parkinson's patients.
Teaching: An MSc supervisor on the Trinity Laban Dance Science MSc course, Katherine is also Guest Lecturer for the BAPAM MSc in Performing Arts Medicine at UCL and as such is an honorary lecturer at UCL.
Sport: Katherine has experience as a club Rugby Physiotherapist and attended the Middlesex 7’s as the Physiotherapist for Rosslyn Park RFC.
To maintain her skills and further her professional development, Katherine regularly attends courses, seminars and sporting events.
Katherine knows that with the breadth and depth of expertise on offer, Watkinsphysio will be able to help you reach your full potential
No GP referral required. Just telephone 020 8545 0965 for an appointment.
- “Hi Katherine, Just wanted to email to thank you for sorting my back out before my trip to the RSCDS Scottish Dancing Summer School in St Andrews. I came to you after an episode of what seemed catastrophic back pain. I had walked my way to a little better movement, but with a week to go before intensive classes at Summer School, needed reassurance that I had not incurred a serious injury, and that I could get fit enough to go. I was delighted with the thorough examination, diagnosis and treatment. It was exactly what I needed in order to feel confident to dance in a high impact advanced class. I expected to leave the physiotherapy session tired and drained, but left on a high with my back muscles much improved. Although I was cautious the first day or two at Summer School, with the memory of such intense pain so fresh in my mind, I soon forgot my problems and danced four sessions a day. Just as you promised, Cinderella did go to the ball! And I have been recommending you to all my dancing friends, one of whom has been to see you already.” JK, Wimbledon, SW19
- “Katherine Watkins is an excellent physiotherapist. She knows what she is talking about, and solved my 6-month-old knee problem in 3 sessions. She focused on giving me targeted exercises so I could resolve the problem myself, instead of doing loads of manual therapy and dragging out the treatment regime. She fully reviewed the exercises each session to make sure they were still appropriate, and tweaked/added to the treatment plan along the way. I found this approach very helpful and effective. I would definitely recommend her to anybody for any condition.” CC, quote from Best of Wimbledon & Merton website.
Reviews - 10 reviews
- “Katherine is a superb physio. Firstly the diagnosis is detailed and the examination of the problem area is not taken in isolation but with an understanding of the whole body interaction. For my problem, an incorrectly tracking knee cap, a set of exercises were initially devised and then refined as treatment progressed. This led to a cure of the problem but also a fix of the cause (a muscle in-balance in the leg). I totally recommend Katherine as a physiotherapist.” Mark H, quote from Best of Wimbledon & Merton website.
- “Katherine is one of the few physios I have seen who has helped me and not ridiculed me. I look healthy and well, but I have suffered years of pain and fatigue owing to Joint Hypermobility Syndrome (JHS). Katherine not only made an accurate diagnosis of my condition, but is continuing to support me whilst I get on with the exercises she gives me to do at home. My body has slowly changed from being fairly unstable in some joint areas to a more functional state. It is because of Katherine's expertise that I am managing to successfully continue doing ballet classes, safely.” IK, Laban, London.
- “I had a long term problem with neck and shoulder, and had been to several physios. This physio was different, much more interactive with my particular difficulties; and adapting to progress when it started. The treatment was more based on exercises for me to do at home, rather than on the table treatment. Monitoring and adapting the exercises was crucial. My progress has been remarkable. A truly exceptional physio.” SK, quote from Best of Wimbledon & Merton website.
- “Katherine really made me feel that she was treating me as an an individual, not just another routine case with routine symptoms. By the time my trapped nerve was remedied I was actually walking much better than I have for ten years or more! Debbie and Marion at reception were also very good, very helpful. I will certianly recommend. First Class.”DD, quote from Patient Survey form.
- “I finished the Bristol half in 1:40 mins, which I was very pleased with, thanks for getting me back on my feet ...it was 20 minutes off my time from the Great North Run. Thanks again.” Runner.
- “Thank you so much for your improtant involvement with the Laban Summer School. Once again we were relatively injury-free for the fortnight - I am sure this ws a lot to do with your seminars and workdshops. Fantastic to have our support and hard work!” Laban Summer School.
- “I just wanted to say thank you for your help, the ankle feels so much better. I'm into summer training now and it's great. I got a lot more freedom in the ankle than I did before I got injured, so I am really happy.” Professional Squash Player.
- “ Whilst with Katherine
I made a successful return to track racing in May at 5000m (15mins29secs)
later improving to 14mins 38 secs by August. I also raced over 10k and half
Marathon in the early autumn. Regarding my training; my long runs increased
to in- excess of 2 hrs without any symptoms of the previous injuries. Whilst
I was able to sustain the intensity of fast 1 miles reps x 6 with a short
I would like to take this opportunity to thank you, Katherine, for your treatment advice and support.” KK, elite distance runner.